Are you currently enrolled in grades 10 – 12?
Are you interested in a healthcare career, social work, or other professions working & caring for people? What about an interest in a real life look at the provision of patient care?
Do you have a valid first aid certification?
Are you able to get permission from your parents/guardians to join us at one of our many events?
If so, we welcome you to apply to become an Odyssey Junior member!
We offer volunteer experiences at events such as music festivals, extreme sports events, running and cycling races, marathons and others.
Our Odyssey Junior program welcomes high school students, with valid first aid certification, to join us at one of our many events throughout the year. At our Major Planned Events, you will see a fully functioning field hospital with healthcare professionals from various disciplines – this gives you an unmatched opportunity to see healthcare in real life. This is a serious commitment for us and for you – we endeavour to provide you with learning opportunities, while also ensuring you are appropriately supervised, insured, and cared for while you are with us on event.
Please note we carefully screen our Odyssey Junior applications – you will be contacted if you are accepted into our program. As part of the medical team, we expect:
- you to be self-assured (but also know when to ask others for help when you are in doubt)
- mature and capable of carrying out first aid tasks independently (with support and supervision from adults).
- Able and willing to make a serious commitment to your volunteering roles
- punctuality and clear communication with the team
- motivated to learn – ask questions, offer support, chat with team members when not taking care of patients
- interested in chatting with patients who require medical assistance
We will be happy to provide letters of reference/volunteer hour sign-off for Odyssey Junior program volunteers.